Jewelry has played an important role for centuries. History tells us that ancient civilizations used it to highlight the natural beauty of their wearers while different pieces channeled important traits, such as elegance, wisdom, prosperity, and security.
Today, people adorn jewelry for several reasons. Accessories like rings, earrings, necklaces, and bracelets have become a form of self-expression or a representation of femininity and social status. It can help unify an outfit, serve as a sentimental reminder, or just be a good investment.
There is an art to styling around jewelry that allows you to display your personal brand and help you feel good in your skin! Learn how to accentuate what you love about your body using these helpful tips and tricks below.
First Thing’s First: You Need to Know Your Body Type
Similar to how certain cuts of clothing flatter some body shapes over others, the same can be said for jewelry. Jewelry can emphasize your favorite features by incorporating shapes and textures that trick the eye. For example, if your shoulders and hips are broader than your waist, you already have the advantage of symmetry on your side! Highlight your curves with rounded shapes like hoop earrings or structured statement necklaces.
For a slimmer look that elongates your figure, you might want to opt for dangling earrings, bangles, long necklaces, or a simple body chain. The same rule applies if your body follows a more rounded shape and you want to introduce some angles into your look. Round stud earrings will make your face appear more circular and make your neck appear shorter.
If you want to create the illusion of a shorter arm, slip on a wider bracelet or watch. Ring bracelets are ideal if you have smaller hands and would like them to look longer.
The Nuances of Necklaces
Shopping for jewelry can be fun, but it’s also important to consider your face shape and height. For instance, tight-fitting necklaces that draw attention to your neck should be avoided if that’s an area that makes you self-conscious. Instead, a longer necklace with a pendant will direct the viewer’s eye away.
Here’s a quick breakdown of what necklace styles will complement you based on your face shape and height:
- Oval — If you have an oval face, you can pull off any necklace length with no impact on appearance.
- Long (rectangular) — A shorter necklace is recommended for those with a long, narrow face to help broaden and soften your appearance.
- Round — Longer Y- and V-shaped necklaces help elongate the look of a round face. Short-length necklace lengths are a no-no as they will make an already-round face seem even rounder.
- Heart-shaped — Shorter necklace lengths work best if you have a heart-shaped face. Chokers and collars are especially effective since they create the illusion of a broader chin.
- Under 5’5” — Short necklaces give the appearance of height by elongating the neckline. In contrast, a longer length may overwhelm a shorter frame.
- Over 5’7” — Long necklaces balance out a taller frame.
Styling Tips for All Occasions
Classic jewelry is generally expected at conservative and formal events, though some are versatile enough to play around with. Think about the style of your outfit—does it leave room for a necklace? Is a bracelet or watch necessary, or are you wearing long sleeves? What is the color of your attire? Rose gold, diamonds, or pearls are all fabulous options whether you wear a solid color or pattern.
Clothing does all the talking at formal events and accessories tie it together, which is why you need to pay special attention to what you will be wearing and then pick your jewelry accordingly. Strapless dresses do not always need necklaces, rather it’s an opportunity to let your favorite chandelier earrings shine. A crew neck and turtleneck shirt, sweater, or dress call for a hanging statement piece, as shorter ones can be too heavy or get lost. V-neck shirts and dresses are best paired with pendant necklaces while halter-tops leave room for a cuff bracelet or thick bangle.
Use that statement necklace or those chunky rings in your wardrobe for a little extra pizazz on a night out. You can upgrade any casual look with a single piece of jewelry, such as a pair of diamond studs with jeans and a t-shirt, or a bunch of gold bangles with a simple sundress for a chic and fashionable look.
Not all jewelry warrants all occasions, but do all occasions warrant jewelry? The short answer is no, and the long answer is, it can and should!
The moral of the story: if you have it… flaunt it.
The practical tips above will help you accessorize like a pro. Remember: successful styling starts by knowing what works best for you. Embrace creativity, experiment with different styles, and don’t be afraid to break the rules now and then.
- Who Stole My Sale?: 23 Ways to Close the Deal | January Book Club Recap
- Stirring the Pot: My Recipe for Getting What You Want Out of Life by Jenny McCarthy | December Book Club Recap
- Mommy Chronicles: Why I’m Putting Myself First
- Mommy Chronicles: 12 Things I’ve Learned from My Son (So Far)
- Jump: Dare To Do What Scares You in Business and Life by Kim Perell | November Book Club Recap